Introduction to the History of Moville
The most authoritative guide to the general history of Moville is given in a book by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Henry Montgomery KCMG DD (1847-1932) and taken from a series of articles he wrote for the Londonderry Sentinel about 1930. Bishop Henry Montgomery was the great-grandson of Samuel Montgomery (the first Montgomery to settle in Moville, and the builder of Newpark House). The Bishop had nine children, one of whom was Field-Marshal Montgomery. He died at New Park in 1932, aged 85 years. His book describes the origins of the town, what life was like in the nineteenth century, and contains many anecdotes and insights into the way of life in Inishowen. You can read the full contents of the book by visiting the site of Ben Palmer (www.benpalmer.co.uk/movillehistoryintro.htm). This site has lots of information on the history of the town for those looking for more detailed information.
In this website we will post general articles about the history of the town and old photographs as they become available. If you would like to send in your articles please contact us.
Introduction to the Genealogy of Moville Area
If you believe some of your ancestors came from Moville we hope that some of the links on this page may help you to find some information about your family or at least enjoy reading some of the articles!
- A great place to start is the website of Ben Palmer (www.benpalmer.co.uk/movillerecords.htm) who has built up a well researched site on the general history of Moville. The site contains polls, parish records and census details dated back as far as the 17th century.
- Also try the Census Records (for Donegal) at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~donegal/ which is a general resource for Donegal genealogy.
- Census Online www.census-online.com/links/Ireland/Donegal/ – Lists of Donegal census links found on the Internet.
- Inishowen Heritage www.inishowenheritage.com
- National Archives Dublin www.nationalarchives.ie
- National Library of Ireland www.nli.ie
- General Register Office – Ireland www.groireland.ie and Northern Ireland www.groni.gov.uk
- Ulster Historical Foundation www.ancestryireland.co.uk/
- Ellis Island www.ellisisland.org
- Cyndi’s List www.cyndislist.com – A general guide to getting started with genealogical research on the Internet.
- Donegal Ancestry www.irish-roots.net/Donegal.htm – Providing a genealogy service for Donegal ancestors.