Touched – A Suicide Awareness and Prevention Initiative
A 6 week program for anyone who has been affected by suicide
Held in Greencastle Community Centre, this course will explore the issues around suicide in our community. Over a 6 week period it will examine some of the factors that may contribute to suicide, and discuss possible strategies for prevention. It will explore how art and written word can be used as a coping mechanism, and as an outlet for expressions of grief. Additionally this will also generate further awareness within our local area. The program will run weekly starting Monday 16th January at 11.00 am.
- Week 1 – Breaking the silence, sharing experiences, looking at ‘affect’, contributing factors and introduction to creative coping strategies.
- Week 2 – Creative coping strategies, looking at work by individuals affected by suicide, discussion on what we can realistically implement locally as a prevention method.
- Week 3 – Exploration of art based suicide prevention projects and discussion on how best to implement locally. Putting a plan into place for creation of individual or collective piece of work.
- Week 4 – Working with memory and personal effects to create a piece of work for display. (This could be a photograph of a loved one for which you design a frame, or it could be a piece of clothing, a poem, a story, a painting which you either create or incorporate into a piece of art.)
- Week 5 – Creation of individual and / or collective piece of work for multimedia exhibition.
- Week 6 – Exhibition of work open to public, visitors book for comments, talks by local people affected by suicide, presentations by various agencies.